26 May 2012

Dad and Daughters Day (Hey! That's an alliteration!)

So today my dad, Kelli, and I went to my cousin Paul's graduation party. He is the oldest cousin on my dad's side. My cousins Jessica, Alyssa, and I are all second oldest. We traveled to Pella, Iowa. Paul's party was with one of his friends, so there was a lot of food! My most favorite things included, but were not limited to, Havarti Cheese and Rullepølse Sandwiches, bacon wrapped little smokies with pineapple, and the awesome chocolate fountain many things to dip in it. (I chose a TON of strawberries.) I mostly ate lots of food. I don't really care for "family reunion" type events, but it was nice to see some people I hadn't seen in a while.
FYI: This is what Havarti Cheese and Rullepølse .look like. If you come to my graduation party, you will probably see them. It's a Danish thing. You say Rullepølse Rowl-pulse, but you kind of swallow the "L" when you say it. They are very delicious, so you should try one next year!
Rullepølse 
Found here

Havarti Cheese



Found here

After we were done at the party, we headed back home. We were going to go see "Battleship" at the movie theatre, but we decided instead to watch "Dances with Wolves" at home and my dad offered to make us chocolate milkshakes. His dad made them all the time when he was a kid, and now that we have a blender, he can make them for us. We also decided to have Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza. Yum!
We had to stop in Ankeny to get the food, and Kelli convinced Dad to let us stop at TJ Maxx while he got the food. I actually found some good deals! I found a spork and a package of scrapbooking paper. Both were $1.99, which was a good deal, considering that the spork was originally $3.99 and the paper was originally $4.99.


This may seem like a menial spork to you, but it is heat resistant, Teflon safe, and dishwasher safe. I though that not only would it be super fun to eat with a spork, but I could take it with me in my lunch to school and I wouldn't accidentally turn it in to the lunch ladies. **Story: While eating lunch close to the end of the school year, I found one of our spoons in the container full of spoons, so I took it  and put it in my backpack and took it home. The end.** (It was funnier when it happened.
This is what some of the paper I got looks like. It's from a pack called "Metropolis." I will use it when I'm putting together my senior albums.






There are some really neat sheets in the pack. I especially like one with a shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge and one with the shadow of birds on a telephone line.

When we got home, we made the pizza and then watched the movie. My dad made his excellent milkshakes about halfway through! They were delicious!
OK--I did not realize what a FANTASTIC movie Dances with Wolves is!! Even though it is 2 hours and 59 minutes long, I was enthralled through every minute! It is an excellent film!








Dances with Wolves won 6 Oscars:


It was also nominated for 5 other Oscars:
Best Actor in a Lead Role - Kevin Costner (yeah! Kevin Costner!!)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Graham Greene
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Mary McDonnell
Best Art Direction- Jeffery Beecroft and Lisa Dean
Best Costume Design- Elsa Zamparelli
 Source:Wikipedia

It was the first Western film to win an Academy Award for best picture since Cimmaron in 1931. (59 years before!)
It has won many other awards, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment