30 May 2011

Memorial Day

Today we woke up bright and early (6:00) and headed 20 or so miles south to Johnston and the Iowa Gold Star Military museum.
Two local radio hosts have a yearly tradition of hosting the Memorial Day show from this particular museum. They serve a small breakfast and you get to look around, meet reenactor, etc. Here are a few pictures:
A helicopter, hanging from the ceiling of course!

One of many mannequins. These guys always creep me out because I think they are real people. But they aren't. And they stare at you!

Evan inside of a troop carrier of some sort.

Looking thru a real periscope

Kelli too!

Evan and some reenactor dudes. They were very nice. They liked his authentic jacket and were fun to talk to. (My grandpa gave Evan his jacket from his time serving in Korea.)

Me and the very nice civil war lady reenactor. She was very fun to talk with.



Later in the day, we went to Big Creek State park to have a picnic with our cousins from Madrid (Iowa). It was incredibly windy, so instead of laying everything out to eat, we ate one thing at a time! Then Kelli, Evan, Kristen, Ryan, and I headed down to the beach and worked for almost 2 hours building this intricate set of canals and towers. You can't see it all in the pictures because it was so big!





We got home around 4:30, and after taking a shower so that I do not smell like fish and algae, I now realize that I am very tired. Whooped. Beat. Dad and I took a walk, and I was dragging. Yeesh.
I will now work on my quilting/bulletin  board project. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Kara, it looks like you had a great day! :) Can't wait to see you on Wednesday! :D much love, lauren :)

    ReplyDelete